Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Exercise - will you ever be my friend?

I got up early this morning and stepped on the scale in my own home, This whole year I have only been using the scale at Five Seasons. It was good news. I should have a good weigh in later this week. Can it be that I've lost nearly 70 pounds since December 2014???

So the secret to success - eat right and move more!
Sweating Hands -
Great workout

I've been eating right and I've been exercising wrong. Well to be totally honest, I haven't been exercising wrong, perhaps not enough lately to meet my year end goal.  


The exercises that were once working to elevate my heart rate are no longer sufficient. When I was over 250# a leisurely walk would put me into near cardiac arrest. The thought of walking 10K steps a day seemed like a marathon. Now I can walk for hours and miles at a slow pace without breaking a sweat. I average over 10K steps a day, near 13-14K and on a busy day can be over 25K steps!


From prior periods when I have lost weight - I know that I need to get out there and start moving it. At one point in my life I got up every morning at 4:30 AM and walked and lifted weights for 1.5 - 2 hours. After some time I looked forward to that time. Watching the sun rise, being outside when it was all quiet. Having time to myself. And focusing on the sheer beauty of it all.  


Now with a chaotic work schedule I can no longer rely on having mornings free to work out and as such my new approach is "Just get it done." No matter what time of day or what form of exercise, an hour of sweating it is on the to-do list 6 days a week. While I was driving to the club to get on the elliptical the thought came to me that I wasn't dreading the exercise. That is a great thing.

Get into the zone and just crank it out. Yesterday I completed nearly 45 minutes on the elliptical at the club. Damn! At the start of the year just a few minutes on that contraption would be too much for me.  Now I am strapped to that thing until the sweat is dripping off even the backs of my hands!


Leaving the club I saw this sign which made me giggle. Thinking of Mad Men and how did this one get by - this one line out of context is just odd, right?

 

Happy Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment