Tuesday, January 13, 2015

No More Starbucks Trips

No More Starbucks for me!
Last month I met Joseph Pinnell from Five Seasons Sports Club. He mentioned wanting to inspire people to make even small changes that could have a big impact on their health.  I've found one such small change in my life and I've turned a new leaf.  Tracking my food intake has been helpful and insightful. 

Each morning, as I'm getting ready to head out the door, I thing "Why don't I treat myself at Starbucks?" The more I thought about that, the more interesting it became. Note that I don't say to myself, let's get that coffee! That's because:


  • I don't drink coffee, nor my usual order (a non-fat latte, or Soy Chai) from anywhere other than Starbucks. I don't even drink coffee at home.
  • That's because I don't crave coffee, I don't even really like it.
  • Yup, I'm going for the pastries and the latte just comes along for the ride.
  • I order it extra hot so that it will still be warm when I get wherever I'm going, but the truth is...
  • .... I have to get extra-hot because I'm focused on getting the baked goods or breakfast sandwich first!
  • So, insight, I'm treating myself to pastry NOT coffee. Although in reality it is often both.

OK Starbucks we're over. I won't say never again, but certainly not as often. 


I'm a tea girl. Plain, no milk or sugar please. 

And this decision is really good for me - take a look at the math...


  • Assume 4 Venti Chai Latte's or Non-fat lattes per week (let's say two each)
  • From the Starbucks website nutrition information:
    • Venti Caffe Latte - 170 Calories
    • Venti Soy Chai Latte - 310 Calories
  • Total calories from Starbucks beverages:
    • 960 Calories per week
    • 49,920 Calories per year
  • If there are 3555 calories/Pound Fat -> then in one year I could gain 14 pounds from my morning coffee habit!
If I consider the glazed donut or breakfast sandwich, which is another 400 calories, my "breakfast" would be more than half my "new leaf" total daily caloric intake! 

Hot tea for me: 0 calories, 0 Fat, 0 Carbs. It's a good new habit to have. 
Although I'll keep crafting with coffee sacks :)

Teresa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment